In 2016, Rekindling has visited Heywood and Horsham (VIC), Yarrabah (QLD) and Broome (WA).
Launched in 2013, the aim of Rekindling is to inspire and develop the next generation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander storytellers by using dance to reconnect with their cultures.
It’s an intensive dance based program for secondary students exploring ‘who you are’ and ‘where you come from’. You don’t need any previous dance experience, just be willing to learn and share. The participants research and gather stories with the help and guidance from Elders within their communities, developing dance, performance and creative skills to produce dance theatre. The program features three Gatherings, culminating in a performance for the community.
Since inception, Rekindling has visited 20 communities and connected with 300 young people.
Rekindling is lead by Sidney Saltner, one of Bangarra’s most acclaimed artists, who became Youth Program Director after 25 years as a performer. He is supported by Youth Program Leaders and former Bangarra dancers Chantal Kerr and Patrick Thaiday.
Bangarra’s 2016 Rekindling program is supported by the Victorian Government.
Rekindling is also generously supported by:
- The Colonial Foundation
- Patterson Pearce Foundation
- Tim Fairfax Family Foundation
- The Robert Salzer Foundation
- Bangarra’s private donors
- Bangarra would like to thank Energy Developments Limited through the Shire of Broome for their support of our work in Broome in 2016.
* Full details of Gatherings including venue and running times will be sent to you if you have been accepted into the program.